Founded in 2021, Santero Therapeutics is an innovative Spin-off from ULB, active in the antimicrobial resistance. The company is anchored in more than a decade of fundamental research carried out in the labs of the Founders.
Santero Therapeutics’ goal is to develop first-in-class antimicrobials with new mode of action. The company currently has around ten enthusiastic employees and is rapidly growing, following an 8M€ fundraising round concluded in June 2023.
Find out more about the company on their website: https://www.santero.be/
In order to strengthen Santero Therapeutics’ team based in Mont-Saint-Guibert, we are looking for a Principal Scientist in Medicinal Chemistry (M/F).
As a Principal Scientist in Medicinal Chemistry, you will be in charge of the Company’s drug discovery efforts and development of novel medicines towards pathogens and antimicrobial resistance. Directly reporting to the CEO, you will be a key scientific contributor and leader, overseeing projects and teams to drive scientific excellence and innovation.
Your main responsibilities are:
- Take ownership of medicinal chemistry projects, employing expert knowledge to optimize physicochemical properties, develop structure-activity relationships, and drive the design of novel molecules, ultimately leading to the identification of clinical candidates.
- Formulate hypotheses, design and synthesize novel compounds to engage antibacterial targets, and contribute decisively to drug discovery programs from hit ID to lead generation and optimization and clinical candidate nomination.
- Work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team, building strong relationships with peers within project to support the advancement of compounds towards clinical candidate selection. Oversee CRO actitvity and integrate input from expert consultant to advance the medicinal chemistry projects.
- Plan, execute, interpret, and optimize structure-activity relationship campaigns, with a focus on the design of high-impact small molecules.
- Oversee external resources and support the preparation of project-specific documents for patent filing.
- Present and actively participate in project, research, and investor’s meetings.
- Provide scientific leadership to medicinal chemistry external collaborators, strong expertise on SAR analysis, compound design, and synthetic route optimization.
- Ph.D. in Organic and/or Medicinal Chemistry, with 8+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry with previous successful experience in the same position.
- Experience in the design and synthesis of small molecules for drug discovery with a proven track record of delivering high-impact projects to preclinical development.
- Expert knowledge of medicinal chemistry concepts and drug design tools required for pharmaceutical drug discovery, including structure-based drug design and organic synthesis.
- Strong problem-solving skills for developing creative, innovative solutions, and meeting project objectives.
- Experience with chemistry platforms and methodologies used in the discovery and development of antibacterial will be highly valued.
- Excellent communication skills for presenting program strategy, issues, mitigation plans, and milestones to governance committees and senior leadership.
- Demonstrated influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to succeed within a matrix environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with fluency in English.
- A strategic role in medicinal chemistry within an innovative biotech company, where you can have an important impact.
- Contribute to the development of a fast-growing biotech in a young and international environment.
- Working in an environment where equipment is at the cutting edge of technology.
- An attractive package in line with the position responsibilities.
Your application and related information will remain strictly confidential.